Local Outreach

Posted by Amanda , Sunday, February 7, 2010 9:19 AM

For outreach this week, we went to work with Metro Ministries again. I was able to go back to the same location we were at two weeks ago. I can’t even explain how much I love hanging out with those kids. There are two girls there in particular that I just adore and I’m excited that I’ll be able to build some friendships with them during these next two months.

Basically what we are doing is having a mini church service for the kids. Today consisted of playing soccer, worship (more like, jumping around with air guitars), a lesson and playing some games. I really love just being able to laugh with the girls and jump around with them. I want to give them the love and attention they deserve and let them know for at least an hour that day that they are important and cared for. It’s funny how they just rattle off to me in Spanish, telling me about their little brothers and sisters and even though I don’t understand most of it, they just love being able to talk.

One thing I’m realizing and something I was talking about earlier this week with another classmate, is just how important it is to build relationships with the kids. The lessons and fun things we do are essential, but the things that the kids remember the most are the relationships, the people they talked to and the ones that paid attention to them. So there is my mission: To get to know these kids, to pay attention to them, to love them and to show them Jesus through my actions, as well as my words.

1 Response to "Local Outreach"

rachel Says:

I am so happy that you are feeling connections with the kids here and long-term heart for children. Your dedication and heart for long-term work is an example to many.

Rach