Another update on Haiti...

Posted by Amanda , Friday, January 22, 2010 1:50 PM

I've been trying to keep up at least everyday with what is going on in Haiti, and at least be praying for them. I want so badly to understand what's happening there and to try and figure out what I can do. This afternoon I read another hard and heartbreaking article regarding the orphanages there (follow this link to read).

Because of the lack of food and water, people are starting to raid the orphanages and steal their supplies, sometimes even armed and aggressive. I can't even imagine what the people in Haiti are going through right now, especially the kids and orphans. It has already been traumatic enough for them without having people stealing their only sources of staying alive. They said they can only bring in supplies for one or two days, otherwise the locals will come and raid the orphanage. It's so sad that people are getting so desperate that they have begun doing this.

It's such a hard situation, I have trouble even wrapping my mind around it. What would I do in this situation? What would you do? More so, I just wonder what we could be doing better right now. How do we help all of these people and keep all of these children safe? How do we keep them from dying?

I suppose that I will just have to use what I have in my hands right now and that's prayer. If you could pray with me for Haiti, that:

*The children in the orphanages would stay safe from raiders and aggressive neighbors.
*The orphanages would be able to receive and maintain their food and water supplies.
*The others in Haiti that are lacking food and water would find ways to receive it without taking it from the orphanages.
*The chaos and desperation would calm down and that organizations and the goverment would be able to find the best ways to help the people of Haiti.

Also, I think it's so important to try and identify with these people. It's easy to hear the news and feel terrible about it, but I would encourage you to think specifically about individuals in Haiti and what they might be experiencing. Think of their stories and feelings and the thoughts they might be thinking now that they've lost their homes and possibly even families.

1 Response to "Another update on Haiti..."

rachel Says:

placing yourself in another one's shoes... so hard to do but so vital and important in working with those whom God has called us to ... good thoughts and processing